Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Looking For Alaska by John Green Review


 Publication: March 2005 by Dutton Juvenile.

 Summary:  Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . After. Nothing is ever the same.


My Thoughts: Let me start off by saying that I read this book in one sitting, I couldn't take my eyes off the page to save my life. This book, I have to say has changed my life entirely. It has gave me the push I need to start this blog and fully commit to my 2015 Reading Challenge. 

John Green wastes no time, and gets straight into "Pudge" leaving to Culver Creek Boarding School to seek a 'Great Perhaps'. I instantly became attached to Alaska for being the free spirited troubled person she was. One thing I cannot appreciate enough is the way that Green didn't make Looking For Alaska some cute little love story that ends happily every after. I love the way that he uses real scenarios and gives the book a dark twist.

When the book started I was really distracted and excited that is was counting down to something. I'm pretty sure that played a major part of me not being able to put the book down. I admired the friendship Pudge makes with Colonel, Alaska and Takumi in such a short period, and all the plans and amazing adventures they had together. It really made me want to put the book down and go seek my own 'Great Perhaps'. Still does.

I was absolutely shocked when I got to the 'After'. I felt my heart break into a million different pieces and then slowly mend their way back together as time progressed. I love the importance Green stresses on the aftermath of dealing with things in the 'After". It shows a different side to life that not everyone wants to talk about or dwell on. I loved how as time went on, the mood started to get lighter and life got somewhat better. Looking for Alaska made me want to read every book John Green ever wrote. This book gave me the FEEELSSS.

 




2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award, and if you'd like to, you can check it out: http://morningsandepilogues.blogspot.hk/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete